An ordinance, passed in 1895 and adopted in 1896, resulted in the creation of the “Town of Quatre Bornes” Now covering an area of over twenty thousand square kilometres, Quatre Bornes is linked by roads to the north, east, south and west. From the “Old Quatre Bornes” to the “Cybercity”, the town of Quatre Bornes is at the same time residential, commercial, and industrial. The name “Quatre Bornes” probably owes its name to a map drawn by Descubes in 1880, in which he set the boundary stones (bornes) of Palma, Bassin, Trianon, and Beau Séjour. One historian suggested that the “bornes” rather delimited the three districts of Plaine Wilhems, Moka and Rivière Noire. It is also claimed that in 1761 two land owners, Mr Mabille and Mr Desveaux were having land problems. Their case was referred to as “Le cas des Quatre Bornes”. W. Edward, in 1921, explained that four boundary stones used to delimit the intersections between the roads crossing Vacoas and Bassin/Palma, and La Louise and the Balisage separating the land property of La Louise, and Beau Séjour. Some also claim that Quatre Bornes owes its name to a “commune” in France. A few landmarks in the history of Quatre Bornes
1721 Wilhem Leicknig – of Prussian origin – settled on the island. It is after him that the district of Plaine Wilhems is named.
1740 French cartographer Guyomar drew the “quartiers des Plaines Wilhems” where Quatre Bornes was shown as a forest which was slowly being colonised.
Barthelemy Fanfou de St Pierre gives his name to the St Pierre plain.
1752 Plaine Wilhems surveyed by Mr. Boudard
1760 Bourceret de St Jean nominated “commandant” of the “quartiers des Plaines Wilhems”
1764 Joseph François Charpentier de Cossigny names his region Palma. Governor Antoine Desforges Boucher names his: Bassin
1770 Bernandin de St Pierre mentions Trois Mammelles Mountain in his novel “Paul et Virginie”
1790 French appoints Mayor for “Quartier Plaine Wilhems”
1810 The British appoints a Magistrate for Plaine Wilhems
1850 St Jean Church
1864 Introduction of railway line. Rapid development do to that.
1870 Cartographer Descubes mentions Quatre Bornes on a map
1890 Quatre Bornes proclaimed a village (proclamation No 49)
1895 Ordinance Act 32 states that the board of “commissioners” will consist of 6 members. Sir William Newton became the first President. BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
Chairman: Sir William Newton K.T.Q.C.
1896 Quatre Bornes proclaimed “Town” under Governor Harman.
1904 Construction of Loreto Convent of Quatre Bornes
1915: Chairman: Arthur Broad
1918: Chairman: Chaptain H.G. Hitchcock M.B.E.
1921: Chairman Ernest Leclezio
1923: Chairman: Leon Koenig
1923: Chairman: Alfred W. Brown
1926: Chairman: Dr. Leo Castel
1927 Construction of St Esprit College – R.P. Liston nominated rector.
1928: Chairman: Hon. T. d’Avice O.B.E
1941 Construction of Quatre Bornes Market
1942: Chairman: J. Paul Henry O.B.E. BSc
1945: Chairman: Dr. R. Lavoipierre
1949: Chairman: Roland Mazery TOWN COUNCIL
1951: Chairman B. Jules Colin
1952: Chairman Dr Louis Regis Chaperon
1953 Construction of Municipal Library
1954 Development of Cité Beau Séjour, and Cité Père Laval
1960 Development of Morcellement St Jean
1967 Annexation of Bassin and Palma to the Town of Quatre Bornes
1980 Start of a rapid commercial development, namely George Town Complex, and the Orchard Complex. Also development of Sodnac Morcellement.
1984 New crossroad at Palma – a donation of the Jugnauth family.
1990 New commercial complexes start to appear – Discovery House, Newry Complex, Orbis Court, France Centre Buswell Centre, Flora Park, Middle Town Shopping Centre.